It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:56 pm

H22A CD6 vs CF4 F20B SiR-T (both manual) for '95 Accord SV4 
 Post subject: H22A CD6 vs CF4 F20B SiR-T (both manual) for '95 Accord SV4
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:00 pm 
SOHC
SOHC

Hi guys,

First time posting here :D

I found both engines in half cut shop. Same price at RM6K. F20B supposed to be newer right?

F20B (blue valve cover) has 200hp, H22A CD6 190hp. Other than that, which is better for my SV4 (2.0 SOHC Non-Vtec manual)?

-Can I use the dashboard from F20B?
-Mounting change required for F20B?
-aftermarket performance part for F20B?
-maintenance expensive?

Basically want a comparison. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:55 pm 
HCOC Club Founder
HCOC Club Founder

I can't answer the questions about matching of parts but one suggestion I can give you is to consider the option of 2.0l vs 2.2l. Your current engine is 2.0l. How do you feel about its low end and midrange power ? Is it sufficient and do you find yourself often wishing you had more power to overtake but doesn't want to drop a gear ? If that is the case, the H22A is better for you as the extra 200cc will make some difference in low-end and mid-range grunt. If you feel your current engine's midrange is OK and you desire more high-end power, then the F20B will probably be better. Aftermarket parts wise, I think the H22A might be better as the F20 series had never been really that popular as a performance engine (other than the F20C of course).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:57 pm 
SOHC
SOHC

Hi Wong KN,

I actually read your article on the CF4 way back. Also google it and found a lot of comparisons. Pros for me for F20B is that it's newer and it's also 2.0l so easier for JPJ approval. Anyway, I will do serious thinking over this. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:19 am 
HCOC Club Founder
HCOC Club Founder

Ah! thanks very much for your support of TOVA. OK, the main issue I want to make sure you are aware of the possibility that 2.0l might not be satisfactory in terms of mid-range torque. The F20B won't give you that much more torque over your current 2.0 SOHC engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:26 am 
SOHC
SOHC

Haha, I have been following TOVA since 2001 I think. Yup, I am aware of the mid-range torque but the forummers claim it has a very strong bottom build and iron sleeve (dunno what that means) compared to H22A. And it revs higher and more fiercely than H22A. Not to mention the blue valve cover looks good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:30 am 
HCOC Club Founder
HCOC Club Founder

The sttrong bottom end and iron sleeve is for cases where you want to go wild with mods and get lots and lots of power from the engine. Usually it means supercharge or turbocharge, that's when strong bottom end and sleeves comes into a discussion (because of the huge amount of torque they produce). A lot also depends on your feelings/preferences too. If you have experienced the F20B before and you really like it, don't let people like me convince you otherwise. In the end, the car is yours and you have to live with it so you are the most important person lar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:37 am 
SOHC
SOHC

Yup Wong, you are right...usually for turbo or supercharge which it's not in my mind now. Unfortunately I haven't tested a H22A or F20B before, only B16A and B18C. I would assumed the torque would only be marginally better than my current engine but once the VTEC kicks in, I would expect a helluva ride haha. Thanks for the advice so far Wong.